Thursday, April 5, 2012

Photos and Thoughts from Patricia

 Patricia is at the keyboard for the commentary below and also behind the lens for this set of interesting photos. Looking around the older parts of the cities and towns in Italy, one can find little creative gems like this painting of the Madonna and child. They are so easy to miss; you have to keep your eyes open.

 The Colosseum in Rome - Patricia's favourite city in Italy. Let's hope the Trevi legendary tradition has some validity to it and she gets back there before too long.


 Piazza Navona - really a lovely place with a great deal of character - daytime or evening. We were there at both times, but not for long enough.

 This is the view of the lower lands below the main town of Assisi, walking up towards the Basilica of St. Francis.

 The old entrance to the Vatican Museums. Above this entrance are statues of both Michaelangelo and Raphael, considered the greatest artists of Italy. They flank the Papal coat of arms.


The 'dynamic duo' looking very fashionable and certainly like they belong here - in Capri.

Thoughts from Patricia:
Gertrude Stein once said, “America is my country and Paris is my home town.” With a few obvious modifications I can easily say that Canada is my country and Rome is my home town. Historians, movie lovers, and writers alike are drawn to the Eternal City because of its ability to capture a person’s heart. Similarly, of all the cities we traveled to, not a single one could compare to beauty of Rome. To recount, some of my favourite moments from this trip took place in this remarkable city. I will never forget standing where Roman emperors stood thousands of years before me, singing The Sound of Music aloud as we walked through the busy streets of Rome, or listening to the gentle buzz of Italian chatter in Piazza Navona, watching the city transform from day to night.
Whether we were walking through the Eternal City, standing above the city of Florence, or within the walls of Vatican City, I was surrounded by a group of people that made me laugh every step of the way. Without them, this trip would not have been as special.
Adjusting back to life in Canada has been difficult, but fortunately during our time in Rome I stood with the Trevi Fountain behind me as I released a coin from my palm in hopes that I will return home again.
 Patricia T.

No comments:

Post a Comment